ToughQuiz VIII - Practical version switching
Now that the versioning switch debate is in full swing (see the IE page of my linkblog for a partial overview), I'd like to move attention from lofty goals and aspirations that may or may not be trampled by the new switch to everyday practicalities.
So here's a quiz for you. Please assume that at some point in the future the following will be the case:
- The version switch is implemented in IE8—but not in any other browser.
- IE8 supports your favourite, but not perfectly. A copy/pastable IE8-workaround is available. All other browsers support your favourite perfectly.
- Until now, you haven't implemented any switch, effectively running all your sites in IE7 mode. You have included your favourite in many sites for the benefit of non-IE browsers.
- The total IE market is divided as follows:
- IE8: 80%
- IE7: 15%
- IE6: 5%
With this situation in mind, please answer the following questions:
- Will you implement a switch in new sites you create? Why (not)?
- Will you retro-actively implement a switch in the old sites you maintain that contain your favourite, even though that might mean spending a few hours on solving incompatibility problems? Why (not)?
I hope the answers will shed some light on the practical use of the switch.
Comments are closed.