This is the monthly archive for July 2005.
As everybody and his dog know by now, IE 7 Beta 1 has been released. Read Chris Wilson's entry over on the IE Blog for the details. Since I do not have a copy of it, I will not discuss it in detail. It is my strict policy to discuss only browser features and bugs I've actually seen for myself. Expect a full report as soon as I've got it installed on my computer, but not before.
The MSIE team seems to have used my site for bug testing, although almost all discussed bugs come from Position is Everything, and rightly so, since Big John and Holly Bergevin have far more interesting and detailed bug reports than my own CSS section.
Meanwhile this good news is being overshadowed by an apparently quite vicious campaign against Molly Holzschlag, who seems to have had the temerity to suggest that the IE 7 beta is actually good news for web developers and the standards movement in general, a message that encounters quite a bit of resistance among web standards fascists.
Micro-interview in Timo Wirth's ongoing "Falling in love with CSS" series: Peter-Paul Koch declares his love to CSS ...
Back in 1998 I created my very first site, a summary of my research into the Thidrekssaga, and since it was supposed to be a scientific publication I needed a footnote system. I ended up using a footnote frame, and back then I was pretty impressed by my own creativity. Meanwhile the wow-factor of this solution has decreased rather dramatically.
Seven years later, four articles about footnotes caught my eye within about an hour.
In order to keep our pages accessible to non-mouse users, we must use non-mouse events like
keydown in addition to mouse events like
click. I created the new Event pairs page and related tests to study this problem.
My conclusions are:
Today the WaSP announced the DOM Scripting Task Force of which I am a member. Its purpose is:
Today is my 35th birthday.
Happy birthday to me!
I'm going to celebrate by not sitting in front of my computer all day.
There are two ways of changing the style of an element: changing the element's
style properties or changing its
className. I feel that the second option should be a Best Practice, since it honours the separation of behaviour and presentation, where a
style change doesn't. After all, changing the
I wanted to make sure that changing the
className doesn't lead to performance problems. My new style vs. className benchmark test clearly shows that it doesn't. In fact, changing the
className is faster than changing the
style in all browsers but Safari.
I'm very glad of this outcome, since I can now solemnly declare changing the
className whenever you want to change the styles of an element a Best Practice, not only from a theoretical point of view, but also from a practical one.
Regular visitors may have noticed that my homepage has changed a bit in the past few days. The old one was too cluttered and contained too much information. Besides, it didn't have any space left for the new Elsewhere on the 'Net feature. So I significantly revised my main blog pages and the content they deliver to the homepage.
Like my recently started validation drive, the homepage restructuring is just one aspect of the full-fledged QuirksMode.org redesign I'm planning. Besides, the redesign set me thinking about separation of structue and content.
New York, Madrid, now London. Oh BLOODY hell!
Today the Web Standards Project and Microsoft have announced the formation of a collaborative Task Force that will provide technical help in moving Microsoft products like Visual Studio and ASP.NET closer to web standards.
A document uses XHTML 1.0 Strict. It contains a few
<blockquote>s, and in Strict they are not allowed to have text nodes as children. Instead, any text in the element should be marked up in a block level element, for instance
<p>. Initially the document satisfies this requirement.
After the document has loaded a script similar to Simon Willison's Blockquote Citations runs in the document and adds the content of the
cite attribute of each
<blockquote> to the visible text of the quote. Due to an oversight of the programmer the script does not put this text in a block level element of its own. Now the
<blockquote> has a text node as a child.
See the June 2005 archive.