Yesterday and today I worked on the CSS Compatibility Tables and retested everything in the latest crop of browsers. There is some improvement, but also a lot of stagnation.
I tested in IE10 pr2 because that’s the last version that works on my Windows 7 machine. I have heard that later preview releases support transitions, but have not been able to verify that for myself, so my table shows a harsh No.
I added tests for transitions and animations, and found that although transition support is generally good, there are still a few rough edges in all browsers.
In addition, I found a truly beautiful transition bug in the WebKit browsers. Go to the page, scroll down so that you have a lot of test elements in view, and zoom in or out. You see? This should definitely not happen.
Speaking of bugs, it’s a long time ago that I could add a CRASH to my tables, but after years of patient waiting I found a new one. Safari Windows (not Mac!) crashes on
cursor: no-drop. Try it here and don’t complain your browser crashed; I warned you.
I also uncovered a new IE bug; and that has been a while, too. It turns out that there is a slight inconsistency in
:active styles: if you click on an element you make it “active” (whatever that may mean), but it turns out that IE doesn’t register clicks on child elements, while the other browsers do. Try it here. This bug is present in IE10 pr2.
Still, the browser I worry about most is Firefox. There just isn’t all that much improvement to report. It still doesn’t support
display: run-in and
background-attachment: local (especially the latter is annoying), and it’s the sole vendor to still prefix selection and box-sizing. True, the background module has improved, but other than that everything that didn’t work in Firefox back when I did the last rounds of tests in 2010 still doesn’t work.
Back in June I requested donations to pay for the time I needed to update the desktop browser compatibility tables. The community responded overwhelmingly. This revision of the CSS tables is the second installment of my side of the promise (the first was the revision of the event tables).
I worked on the CSS tables for 16 hours, and that means that the €3,750 I collected in June have now been used up.
I will probably launch another call for donations in the next month or so to pay for the updating of the other tables.
I’ll be around at the following conferences: