This is the monthly archive for May 2009.
Last week I’ve done the DOM Core tests in new
browsers: IE8 final (in both IE8 and IE7 mode), Firefox 3.5b4, Safari 4.0, Chrome 1 and 2, and Opera 10a.
I found no surprises.
After that I decided to continue with mobile browsers, of which I have 15 lying around on
my desk. Unfortunately I could not test IE Mobile
(old) because it supports only inline event handlers, Skyfire because it does not allow you
to remove alerts, and the Opera runtime in the Vodafone widget manager for terrifyingly complicated
reasons I still have to describe properly.
Still I managed to test the other twelve and found a few surprises.
This sort of testing should not be used at all. Ever. The methodology is plain wrong. Browser compatibility tests are to be done by hand. Any automated system is useless, because it will give false information.
Phew, the last two weeks have been a blast, but also a bit tiring. I went on a visit to San Francisco in order to speak at the Voices That Matter Web Design Conference, and since I was in town anyway both Yahoo! and Google invited me to do a tech talk. I returned home on Friday, and on Saturday I spoke at the Amsterdam Widget Dev Camp organised by Vodafone NL. Fun, but wearing.
As you may know by now, I’m currently heavily engaged inW3C Widgets research, so it’s no surprise that three out of four of my presentations treated this topic. As usual I’ve put the slides online.
See the April 2009 archive.