Series Introduction to Widgets - overview
This is my plan for the Introduction to Widgets series. Every bullet point
should become one article.
Please let me know if I’ve forgotten a subject, plus anything else you can think of. We also have to decide where these articles are going to be published.
I’m also looking for nice case studies.
What order should the articles be in? Intro comes first, config.xml second. But after that? Which article would you yourself be most interested in reading?
As a rule, one article will cost me about 1-2 days.
- Introduction to Widgets; roughly the same as my blog post of the same title.
- config.xml: what can you do?
(Updating and security are separate articles)
- Width and height
- Widget title
Alternatives to config.xml
- Widget updating mechanism
- The widget object
- Graphic design: use media queries. Examples. Resolution, dpi. Graphics and scaling. Docking and undocking.
- Interaction design. Four-way navigation, touchscreen, pseudo-cursor. How will your widget run in a variety of environments?
- Support. T-Mobile, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, NetFront, Nokia, Opera Desktop.
- Testing. Opera Desktop, Dragonfly. S60v3, S60v5, Windows Mobile. Ultra-secret device.
- Distribution. App stores, Bluetooth, downloading.
- Security. Oh my ...
- Device APIs. JIL (kill!), BONDI. Problems, solutions. Support.